Saying Bye-bye and Why

woman leaving with filebox

We're all familiar with unsubscribing from unwanted emails. Some make it harder than others but, since anti-spam legislation has come into effect, there's been an improvement. Email readers are more aware of their right to unsubscribe and so marketers are getting better at giving that option.

This creates the opportunity to gather feedback - to understand why people are unsubscribing. It might have to do with the frequency or that the person is simply no longer interested in the topic. Knowing why is useful to help shape future email strategy. As someone who's unsubscribing, I can quickly select a multiple-choice option and say bye-bye.

Recently I ran into this example which threw me for a loop. "Wow!"

example of opt-out form

What's your reaction? "How brazen," I thought. Then, as I was clicking 'other', I realized it's also brilliant. I mean, how many people are actually going to click 'I hate you!' and, if they do, do you care about their feedback? In this case, I was unsubscribing because I was receiving too many emails and that's what I told them.

Gathering legitimate feedback is tough, especially from strangers. I wouldn't use this tactic because it wouldn't be true to my brand. But it's sure got me thinking about clever ways to gather feedback.

Click to Tweet this Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boost Your Expert Reputation with an Evergreen Series

I Love Uphill Graphs!

Make a Personal Connection - A Success Story

How to Get People to Open Your Emails

Up the Value of Your Redirect Pages

Do You Need an Editorial Calendar?

Don't Dilute Your Message

It doesn't have to be About You

How I Emptied My Inbox!