Automation can be Creepy


If your ideal customer is new to social media, your autoresponder messages might be creeping them out. At one time I had this vision of some big guy hunched over his keyboard poised to pounce on my 'Follow'.

If your ideal customer is more tech savvy, they'll recognize an autoresponder immediately. (Really? You expect me to interact with a program?)

I liken autoresponders on social media to email spammers. Both are giving their medium a bum rap.

A recent Twitter following spree on my part resulted in 16 automated tweets (close to 10% of those I followed). At least I think they were autoresponders.

There's the rub. Even if you take time to respond to people individually, now they may assume it's an autoresponder. The legitimacy of your action is lost in the sea of spammers.

photo by wnstn / Flickr

Click to Tweet this Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Easy to Read Online

Milestones Mean Business

The Consequences of Creative Isolation

Is Your Canadian Small Business Compliant with CASL Yet?

Consider Point of View for All Your Writing

Proofing Checklist for Error-free Newsletters

How to Write the Introduction to Your First Newsletter

Knowing When to Go

Research - What are your Competitors Doing?

Oh, The Embarrassment! (And The Engagement)