Waking Up Without an Alarm


The young cashier at Walmart grinned at me and said, "Joke's on them then." I had just told him to keep the printer cartridge separate as my business was going to pay for that. I grinned back and said, "The joke's on me then since I'm the boss. And I'm also the one who had to drop everything and dash out when the printer ran out."

Oh, the joys of owning your own business.

I'm on vacation this week. Yet this newsletter is getting sent, along with five others. I emailed a handful of clients to reassure them I would still be reachable and delivering on deadlines. I've been doing paperwork and will meet with my bookkeeper. I'll even attend a networking event. My husband is on vacation, so I need to find time to spend with him, too. And oh yeah, I need to get a tooth pulled - something I've been saving for the vacation.

What I will NOT be doing this week is setting my alarm clock. In fact, I have a goal to not wake up to an alarm... even when I'm not on vacation.

About six weeks ago I started taking this goal seriously. I listened to a Facebook Live where Brandi Good described having this same goal. I realized this is not something to feel guilty about or that it makes me seem lazy. It does help me start my day in a positive way and I can organize my workload accordingly. If I'm on a roll at midnight, I can keep the creative juices going instead of watching the clock.

Being the boss might mean I have to run out for printer cartridges, but it also means there's no one looking at their watch as I slide into my chair in the (mid) morning.

What secret goals can you embrace as part of your small business work routine?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boost Your Expert Reputation with an Evergreen Series

I Love Uphill Graphs!

Make a Personal Connection - A Success Story

How to Get People to Open Your Emails

Up the Value of Your Redirect Pages

Do You Need an Editorial Calendar?

Don't Dilute Your Message

It doesn't have to be About You

How I Emptied My Inbox!