3 Wimpy Phrases to Avoid in a Newsletter


These three phrases come up repeatedly in newsletter content - I've edited them out many times. I bet you're familiar with them, too.

“I want to tell you about...”
This is similar to the verbal, “All I'm saying is...” which my husband has adopted lately, or “Here’s the thing...” In an email or newsletter, just go ahead and tell us. If you really want to set the stage for something important, try “I have exciting news...” (But don’t add “... and here it is!”)

“Feel free to contact me...”
Does this mean people aren't usually free to contact you? It sounds like you're giving permission. As a call to action, it’s very wimpy. Lacking something more creative, “Please call me to...” will be more effective.

“If you have questions...”
Often used with the line above, this one adds to the wimpy-ness. It’s more effective to assume people will have questions. Try “Call me with your questions.” or "I'm happy to answer your questions." Or pick a different reason for them to call you.

The short version? Stop beating around the bush. Make your content concise and to the point. These wimpy lines lack confidence!

Thanks to Kate MacLeod and Lily Herman for the inspiration!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Office Holiday Party

How to Write the Introduction to Your First Newsletter

Automation can be Creepy

Feeling Overwhelmed?

Consider Point of View for All Your Writing

Actively Share your Newsletter Issues on Social Media

Proofing Checklist for Error-free Newsletters

Knowing When to Go

The Consequences of Creative Isolation

Your Reputation Delivers Your Newsletter