Blacklisted!


It feels like someone was messing with my credit score this week. My domain daleyprogress.com was blacklisted. There are a couple of things about this I'd like to share.

How did it happen?
Apparently, a link to an event in one of my newsletters pointed to a domain that was blacklisted. (Or at least that's my understanding based on the little info I've been able to get.)

The immediate implication?
Do I have to check every link in my newsletter against the blacklist to prevent this from happening again? I don't really know but, wow, what a pile of work that would be!

How did I discover the problem?
The hard way! I was sending test and regular emails that weren't arriving, even to myself. I initially thought the problem was with i-Contact. They were great about pointing me in the right direction. Then I had to contact Network Solutions which hosts my domain. They were quick to investigate and 'clear my name' for me.

How can I know if it happens again?
If you search 'IP blacklist' on the web, you'll find lots of resources. I found http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ to be pretty easy to use and I signed up for 2 free email notifications. I'm going to add a 'to do' to my calendar to check on the status of my domains monthly.

Comments

  1. The question is... have you been remembering to check the status of the domains monthly? Sounds like something I would forget!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Branding 101 Workbook

Content That Saves Time

Boost Your Expert Reputation with an Evergreen Series

What's Your Value Proposition? Really.

Online Marketing Faux Pas

Spam is coming off the Menu in Canada

We Must, We Must, Increase Our Trust

Trying to Unsubscribe

3 Questions That Need Answering: Lessons Learned From My Lunch and Learn