Sharing Is Endorsing

In the press for time to get everything done, it can be tempting to share content from trusted sources that you do not review. Sharing content from other experts, colleagues and organizations is a great way to let your fans know that you:

  • keep up with current trends
  • actively pursue continued learning
  • are an expert in your field
  • are aware of what other experts are talking about
  • are plugged in to the local business community

Keep in mind that when you share content, your fans assume that you endorse the content. Even with trusted sources, things can go wrong.

Take the time to read what you share. If you don't agree, say so. If you do agree, mention why. Show your fans that you have read the content yourself.

The last thing you want to do is mislead your fans by sharing content that is contradictory to your own opinion. And a fan that has come to rely on you for great shares, will be disappointed if you share something of no value to them other than the catchy title.



Originally published in Work Better, Not Harder on January 30, 2013

Comments

  1. It's so tempting to automate things like that with tools like Triberr...but I always at least scan what I'm sending out...if nothing else, to make sure the link works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how tempting it can be. Caught myself doing it this morning and then decided to take my own advice. Glad I did. The first task on the recommended zone 3 garden 'to do' list I was sharing was to go to local garden centres and look for sales. Hmmmmmmmm. I'd have to travel to zone 5 to find an open garden centre. Drove by the closest one to me yesterday and the greenhouses are buried in 3 feet of snow. At -39, I doubt they are opening today! Clearly a task list written by someone who does not live in zone 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, sometimes it's hard to practice what you preach. haha I've been catching myself too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It doesn't have to be About You

Success is a Personal Thing

Getting Back on Track

People DO Sign Up for Newsletters

Sh*t Happens!

Is Anyone Looking You Up?

Let's Play like Adults

10 Email Predictions for 2013

Links were Clicked!

How Outlining Gets You Unstuck