Eliminating Waste and Ageism from My Writing


In today's society... in today's busy world... our current technological society... and so on. I've written phrases like that more than once. And I've stopped because:

1. These phrases don't add any value to my writing. If I'm writing about the past, I'll say, "In the past..." or some such thing. Similarly if I'm writing about the future. Otherwise isn't the perception it's current?

2. Lots of people don't know a different society, don't remember a time before computers. Technology is hardly new. Anyone over 50 like me has actually been using it longer than anyone younger.

Reserve space in your writing for words that really count, that add meaning to your writing. Eliminate what's left. Make sure every word works. Your readers will thank you for it and show you by coming back to read more.

photo by Street matt / Flickr

Click to Tweet this Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do You Know If What You're Doing Is Working?

Let's Play like Adults

Quick Tip - Avoid Hidden Format Problems

Getting Back on Track

Sh*t Happens!

Is Anyone Looking You Up?

What's Your Stumbling Block? Blogging Survey

It doesn't have to be About You

Being Sneaky About Email

How Outlining Gets You Unstuck