Check Things Off


I have clients and potential clients that want to start e-marketing campaigns. They are stuck at the step of putting together their first mailing list.

In an effort to help, I decided I would give them a specific list of things they can do to compile their initial list. To add to my own ideas, I did some online research. An article called “How to build your mailing list” sounded promising. The skill level required was listed as ‘moderate’. Good so far. It went on to say:

Step #1: Create a well-optimized website…

Hmm… I’ll get right on that.

It’s hard to get motivated when we start with BIG tasks that are really more like projects. That article sure didn’t move me to accomplish anything. I didn’t read far before I felt overwhelmed.

When I seek ‘how to’, I’m looking for a task list that I can check off as I complete things. Being able to check things off gives me a sense of accomplishment and motivation to continue. If the first thing on my list is going to take days, weeks, or months to complete, I’m going to lose interest pretty fast.

Build your TO DO list with tasks not projects. Break down the big things into smaller pieces. Each task should be something you can accomplish in one sitting. Then cross it off.

What is one thing you can do right now to start building your mailing list? Send an email to your family, friends, colleagues, business partners, clients, and suppliers. Ask them if they would like to receive a newsletter from you. Copy and paste the email addresses of people who agree into a spreadsheet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It doesn't have to be About You

Success is a Personal Thing

Getting Back on Track

People DO Sign Up for Newsletters

Sh*t Happens!

Is Anyone Looking You Up?

Let's Play like Adults

Links were Clicked!

How Outlining Gets You Unstuck

Quick Tip - Avoid Hidden Format Problems