Stop Saying "Feel Free"

stop

The next time you start to type “Feel free to phone or email me” -- Stop.

If you’re in business, shouldn't it be obvious that you want calls and emails? "Feel free..." is a little wishy-washy, like using the word “just”.

Instead, use a more direct call to action. Assume that people will have questions, concerns or feedback.
“Call or email with your questions and concerns.”
“Questions? Call or email – I’ll be happy to answer them.”
“Tell me what you think of this. By phone or email is fine, at your convenience.”
Even better, be specific about the type of response you desire.
“Call me Friday morning so I can answer your questions and we can discuss the next steps.”
“Send me your questions by email so I can give you detailed answers.”
Create your own unique version of this call to action, use it, make it a habit -- make it part of your brand. Not only does “feel free” send the wrong message, it’s overused. This is an opportunity for you to stand out.


photo by Elephant wearing striped pants

Comments

  1. "Feel free" isn't wishy washy; it's bossy or even restrictive! Someone I hadn't met yet, but with whom I was corresponding about an umcoming conference, once wrote to me, "Feel free to come up to me at the reception." Why would I not feel free to do so? We are both going to be at the reception, are we not? What would have happened if I had written that first? Would I have been considered presumptuous? By the way, I am professionally senior to the person who extended such a gratuitous invitation. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Easy to Read Online

Company News is No News

Warm Up those Cold Calls

Is Your Canadian Small Business Compliant with CASL Yet?

Content Ideas for Consultants - Teach Something (Part 3)

Current Contacts and CASL

Milestones Mean Business

Does Your Mother Know What You Do? (Part 2)

Favourite Free Image Sources and Graphics Tools for Small Business Marketing

Crello is Not Just Another Pretty Graphics Tool