Here's How to Get Inspired


I often say, “Write when you’re inspired... and take the time to get inspired.” This week I’m taking my own medicine because inspiration has been lacking. Thinking about getting inspired, with my newsletter deadline looming, led me to create this list of things that I sometimes do when I'm stumped. I can even do most of them without leaving my desk!
  • Read other people’s articles. I may learn something new that I can share. I may agree or disagree with the author. Either way, I've got something to write about.
  • Call a friend or client. You may want to prepare a couple of questions in advance, such as “What puzzles you most about what I do?” or “What’s the biggest benefit you get from working with us?” Or you might just wing it.
  • Think about processes. Write step-by-step instructions that are simple and easy to follow. Use screenshots or images if it makes sense.
  • Review old blog posts and articles. I often find ideas that I can expand on or tangents I haven’t explored.
  • Recall recent experiences. What happened this week that you can write about? What conversations did you have? Who did you meet? What did you learn or read? What did you start or accomplish?
  • Take a hot shower. I don’t know why but, for me, this really works. The problem is that I haven’t figured out a way to take notes in the shower!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Write About

Is your Sign-up Form CASL Compliant?

Count your Contacts: In or Out?

Does Your Mother Know What You Do? (Part 2)

The Serial Newsletter

Don't Dilute Your Message

How I Emptied My Inbox!

How to Start Writing when you Feel Stuck

Get Read to Get Ranked