A Different Name for Conversation


I've had people look at me a little oddly when I say that a newsletter (or blog) is a great way to build relationships and start conversations. That's because a newsletter is often thought of as one-way communication - a broadcast, like a newspaper.

I find myself at a bit of a loss when it comes to describing what I mean, even though I've seen it happen countless times. This quote I found recently on Twitter sums it up nicely:

Writing, when properly managed, is but a different name for conversation.
- Laurence Sterne

There is a way of writing that connects with your readers and draws them in. You can tell when you're achieving this by the replies you get after your newsletter goes out. That is the start of the conversation and then it's up to you to keep it going.

photo by Ed Yourdon / Flickr

Click to Tweet this Article

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Easy to Read Online

Company News is No News

Warm Up those Cold Calls

Milestones Mean Business

Is Your Canadian Small Business Compliant with CASL Yet?

Content Ideas for Consultants - Teach Something (Part 3)

Your 'Thank You for Signing Up' Page

Count your Contacts: In or Out?

Crello is Not Just Another Pretty Graphics Tool

The Consequences of Creative Isolation