It's Easy to Market to Yourself


"People tell us who they are, but we ignore it because we want them to be who we want them to be.”
- Donald Draper
If my target market consisted of 1000 of me, my marketing efforts would be so much easier. After all, I know what I like and don’t like. I know what makes me glad, sad or mad. I know my favourite colours and the best time to get me on the phone. I know when my payday is and when I read my mail. I know when I need new shoes or my roof shingled.

I’m not my ideal client but business would sure be easier if I was.

My ideal clients make decisions differently than I do. They prefer different communication methods and spend their money on different things. Their personalities and styles are different than mine. They probably make more money than I do. But they don’t know how to create a newsletter campaign like I do.

When things don’t go as I expect them to, it’s usually because a client didn't act, say or think the way I would have. (Darn them!) It's not a bad thing, just unexpected.

My ideal client will never be exactly like me – or they wouldn't need me. My best opportunities are found in those differences, not our similarities.

photo by Royce Bair 
Originally published in Work Better, Not Harder July 16, 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Tip - Avoid Hidden Format Problems

I Love Uphill Graphs!

Make a Personal Connection - A Success Story

How to Get People to Open Your Emails

Up the Value of Your Redirect Pages

Do You Need an Editorial Calendar?

Boost Your Expert Reputation with an Evergreen Series

It doesn't have to be About You

Content Template - The Checklist

Do You Want 1,000,000 Subscribers?