A Season of Shedding

I’ve started off the year by getting rid of things. Jane, my organizer friend, would say that’s a good thing. But I’m not talking about emptying closets and trips to the curb.

I’ve been shedding bits and pieces of my business. It feels like a weight off my shoulders; casting off the old to make room for the new, a fresh start… and many more clichés. This year I am focused and oh boy, am I getting in control.

Some decisions have been difficult ones – like finally putting my training career to rest. Some have been much easier – like getting rid of my Yellow Pages ad after 7 years of no payoff. (Can you believe this? The rep actually said, “Well, what’s $16 a month?”)

All have been the result of the Plan I developed at bootcamp last month. I have never understood the terms ‘niche’ and ‘specialize’ like I do now. What a pleasant surprise: decision-making has now become so much easier and straight-forward. No waffling. Does it fit with the Plan? No? Then, out the door with it, no fuss, no second-guessing. I’ve even turned away business that didn’t fit with the Plan.

Creating the Plan was really the decision point. Now it’s simply measuring – does it fit or not. And even when it fits in the hips but not across the shoulders – well that’s not a fit either. Time to go back to the rack.

What I find amusing as I sit and write this article is that suddenly all the clichés seem to apply when everything is moving in the right direction. Game on. Got a leg up. Good to go. Lean and mean.

Now we’re cooking with fire.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Need an Editorial Calendar?

It doesn't have to be About You

People DO Sign Up for Newsletters

Here's How Writing Content Turns You Into an Expert

Up the Value of Your Redirect Pages

Storage for Great Ideas - Back of Book (BOB)

Boost Your Expert Reputation with an Evergreen Series

Let's Play like Adults

List Building Questions Answered

Your Subject Line should Signal Your Intentions