If you can’t do it all…


I have to admit, I’ve been guilty of using social media to stay connected. Oh yes, I know there’s a whole relationship-building aspect that I’m missing out on big time.

The value of social media tools really struck me this weekend as I checked in on my website stats. On Thursday evening I had updated the events listing on my website. Instead of simply posting this on my LinkedIn profile as usual, I decided to post it to a few of the LinkedIn Groups of which I’m a member. Look what happened to my website page views:

So a few people visited my website -- what does that really mean? Well, here’s what else happened:
  • 4 complete strangers subscribed to my newsletter
  • A few thank-you’s were posted in the groups
  • 3 complete strangers emailed thanking me and complimenting me on my website
  • 5 new LinkedIn connections
  • Increased views of my LinkedIn profile
  • 3 new Twitter followers
And I’m betting there will be at least one nice chat over coffee yet to follow. While I’m far from maximizing my use of social media tools, my strong advice is this:
If you can’t do it all, do at least something.  Start somewhere -- today!


Originally published in Work Better, Not Harder on June 21, 2011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Tip - Avoid Hidden Format Problems

Make a Personal Connection - A Success Story

How to Get People to Open Your Emails

Up the Value of Your Redirect Pages

Do You Need an Editorial Calendar?

Boost Your Expert Reputation with an Evergreen Series

It doesn't have to be About You

How I Emptied My Inbox!

Content Template - The Checklist

Do You Want 1,000,000 Subscribers?